Saturday, October 3, 2009

In the teeth of an Internet scam

It was a case of acting against my better view, but I did anyway. Yes, folks, I do this concert and get any information about how to avoid this or that fraud, and how to stay safe and untapped in cyberspace. So what did I do? In this case, I did just the opposite of my own advice. Here's the story: I was visiting one of my favorite news sites on the Internet a few months ago, when an ad caught my eye on the right side of the screen. It featured a blonde sporting bright white teeth, smiling. The Come-On said something like, "Do you want a celebrity smile? Whiten your teeth up to 7 shades in a matter of weeks!"
Now if I were rational at the time, and a follower of my own advice, I would have smiled my smile opaque and moved on. The announcement looks and smells like a scam, right? I have reflected at some length about why he became irrational at the time and disconnected from my brain. I had been considering going to the dentist to have white teeth. But visiting a dentist is not high on my list of favorite activities. Likewise, bleaching in this way is expensive, therefore, all ads that float around do-it-yourself products.

Why whiten teeth in the first place? Because I thought the only thing cheaper than at my age I do to improve my look. Fashion and aging did not get along very well together. My family had an old ski instructor friend who was Norwegian. Sven was way back in the ski business. One day he reflected, "You know, see I started to ski, my face going soft and baggy pants you. Now my face and baggy pants is soft. Marked Sven traits may have been beaten and leather wind, but at least his gleaming teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment